|Dolly, Pepper, and Fannie 2008|
From the first day our pets enter our lives, they are more than just pets. They are our companions - our bravest of buds. They don't ever judge or get angry with us, and they are always forgiving. Sweet licks to the face and hands, jumps in the lake, tail wags, hand shakes and unconditional love are just some of the ways that these furry friends make being a dog owner such a joy. It's the nature of our dogs to please us and to yearn for our happiness and companionship, and that, my friends, makes a great comrade. We teach them, and they teach us. They teach us that love, companionship, and loyalty will take us far. There is no replacing that bond.
|"Love her" :)|
I'll never forget the day Andrew and I came home from work early one Friday afternoon back in December of '08. We were hurrying to get in Jacksonville that evening to celebrate our first anniversary, and as we got home to pack the car, the dogs were no where to be found. After roaming the neighborhood yelling for the pups, we reached our final point of desperation and called the pound. Surely they were just gallivanting near the marsh somewhere - there's no way they took a ride to the county jail, but sure enough, they did. We get there, and both Pepper and Fannie were covered in marsh mud and looked as guilty as ever. So the story goes, the neighbors "called the cops" because two, vicious dogs were terrorizing the neighborhood. Vicious?! Yeah right!! I bet they were just lovin every second of freedom in the front yard!
|Salt & Pepper with Thomas and Andrew|
|Christmas 2007 - NC mountains|
|"Stay there!" lol - this has always been a favorite of mine! :)|
**C.Brown: This is a favorite song of ours for it sums up how we feel about our furry kids. Other people can get us down, but "in our hearts we know that sometimes a dog is as good as any man."
I also found this below from another blogger. Life lessons from a pooch's perspective. We could all learn from this!
What A Dog Teaches You
A dog teaches us a lot of things, but we never seem to take notice. These are some of the lessons you might learn…
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
- When it’s in your best interest, practice obedience.
- Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
- Take naps and stretch before rising.
- Run romp and play daily.
- Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
- Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do.
- On warm days stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
- When you’re happy dance around and wag your entire body.
- No matter how often you’re scolded don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout. Run right back and make friends.
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
- Eat with gusto and enthusiasm, stop when you have had enough.
- Be loyal.
- Never pretend to be something you’re not.
- If what you want lies buried dig until you find it.
- When someone is having a bad day be silent, sit close by… and nuzzle them gently.